Free Tools for Cleaning Up Media Files
If, like us, you’re constantly running out of hard-drive space – having managed to amass a large collection of digital media over the years – this post is for you!
Windows-using filesharing-fiends, dedicated researchers and hoarders may find this list of free software useful in helping to free up space and in managing libraries of audio, image, text and video. Moreover, some of the programs we’ve listed are also available for MacOS, with suitable alternatives easily found by means of online search.
With multiple terabytes of data stored over several machines, we personally use at least half of these programs almost every day, making cleaning up media both simple and semi-automated!
Our Eight Picks
- Album Art Downloader – Use this if you want to find and download missing cover artwork for your music collection. For more info, click here.
- Calibre – So good. Use this to rename, edit and automatically source metadata for all types of eBooks and other text files. Especially handy for those who’ve amassed a large digital library! For more info, click here.
- DupeGuru – Use this to find and delete duplicate files from your computer, by means of various detection modes. For more info, click here.
- File Optimizer – Absolutely essential for designers, etc! Use this amazing tool to losslessly compress the size of your image files, without any visible drop in quality. For more info, click here.
- Filebot – A wonderful piece of software if you’re a ‘downloader’ rather than a ‘streamer’! Use this to automatically rename video files, download subtitles and lots more. For more info, click here.
- MusicBrainz Picard – Great ‘Shazam’-style software. Use this timesaving tool to automatically identify, tag and organise digital audio files. For more info, click here.
- Remove Empty Directories (RED) – Use this handy app to find and delete all empty directories (or directories only containing specific file types). For more info, click here.
- TagScanner – This one is great for generating and bulk-editing metadata and for automatically organising and renaming audio files. For more info, click here.